DIY Decor Project: Your Guide To Creating Magnificent Winter Containers
The winter months can be such a festive time to transform your outdoor container gardens. In October and November, it's time to make the switch from flowering plants and tropicals to cut boughs arrangements.
We asked a professional florist for tips and tricks on how to create gorgeous winter containers to extend your season and welcome guests to your home.
First, let's talk about your options to get materials:
- Some people prefer to contract with local landscapers for help. This is a great option but be sure to place your order early. The waiting lists are long and understand that you'll pay a premium for that convenience.
- Finding professional grade materials is another hassle. Some hobby and grocery stores carry limited selections, but you wind up driving all over to buy enough material to create an effective container, overfilled to create a generous, full visual effect. We've been there!
Step by Step Instructions for Winter Container Gardens
For existing containers, top off with dirt as needed. For new, please place your containers exactly where you want them before you start. Take your time and get it right, as they are heavy when full. Fill new containers with dirt to the top once they are in position.
Grab garden gloves, an old sheet or tarp, a crafty friend, and a happy, relaxed attitude. Before you get started, take a nice, deep breath. You gave yourself an opportunity to have a cool experience today. This is a process. Making garden containers takes a while. There is no such thing as perfection.
Ok, now that you are in a "good place", put on your gloves, open the box and take a nice deep breath. Mmm, we love the smell of mixed evergreen, don't you?
- First, take everything out of the box.
- Separate the materials into piles on your tarp or old sheet.
- Sort the evergreens into piles by type and by size.
- Select the tallest, fullest bough and push it firmly into the dirt in your container.
- If you'll see the container from all angles, place the bough in the center.
- If you'll only see one side of the container, place the bough near the back and keep the "showiest" side facing out.
- If you need to trim the lowest branches, cut at a 45-degree angle close to the main stem.
- Save all the little clippings to use later.
- Add smaller boughs around the first bough.
- If you'll see the container from all angles, be sure to place boughs all around the largest bough.
- If you'll only see one side of the container, place these boughs in front of and to the sides of the largest bough.
- Select smaller material to fill in the front.
- Use the best looking material in the front facing your guests.
- Continue to fill and bundle several smaller boughs together if needed.
- Use your saved trimmings to fill in bare spots.
- Tuck flat, small branchlets in under the other boughs as edging all around the pot.
- This is a pro tip that polishes and softens the look.
- Add your focal point in place.
- It's best to bundle these together before you push them into the dirt.
- Spread out the berry clusters and place them throughout the arrangement at high, medium and low points.
- You can wire them to the upper branches, and even use hot glue to hold in place if needed.
Caring for Your Winter Container Gardens
Spray the branches liberally with Wilt-pruf, an anti-dessicant starch spray. Plan to reapply as often as the directions say.
If you live in a frost zone, fill the container with water. The water will freeze and keep the materials intact.
It's fun to mix these up throughout the season. Try evergreen or holly branches, cut red twig dogwood stems, crabapple branches, viburnums berries, or dried Hydrangea flowers in winter pots.
Get wild! Decorate them with silver accents for New Year’s or add your team colors for the Superbowl. You’ll be so pleased to make them your own.
Enjoy these long lasting containers. Good job!
Original price $66.99 - Original price $66.99Original price$66.99$66.99 - $66.99Current price $66.99
Brewers Yeast Powder 28%, 50 lb.B & B SpecialtiesIn stock
The high quality, economical source of pure, fresh, full potency brewers yeast for all livestock feed and pet food formulations. Promotes Appetite...View full detailsOriginal price $66.99 - Original price $66.99Original price$66.99$66.99 - $66.99Current price $66.99
Original price $285.99Original price $285.99 - Original price $285.99Original price $285.99Current price $229.99$229.99 - $229.99Current price $229.99
Wing & A Prayer ClearView Window Bird FeederA Wing & A PrayerIn stock
Keep a close eye on your feathered friends dining by placing this Wing and A Prayer ClearView Window Bird Feeder in your window. Using an in-house ...View full detailsOriginal price $285.99Original price $285.99 - Original price $285.99Original price $285.99Current price $229.99$229.99 - $229.99Current price $229.99Sale Sale
Original price $10.00 - Original price $100.00Original price$10.00 - $100.00$10.00 - $100.00Current price $10.00
Give a Garden Guide Online E-Gift CertificateGarden Guide Online
Give a Garden Guide Online E-Gift Certificate It's a fast and fun way to let the nature lovers on your list choose their own perfect gift. You can ...View full detailsOriginal price $10.00 - Original price $100.00Original price$10.00 - $100.00$10.00 - $100.00Current price $10.00
Original price $179.99Original price $179.99 - Original price $179.99Original price $179.99Current price $149.99$149.99 - $149.99Current price $149.99
Wild Bills Electronic Squirrel Proof Bird Feeder, 8 portsWild BillsIn stock
The Wild Bills Electronic Squirrel Proof Bird Feeder features a revolutionary design that provides birds with a safe feeding haven while preventing...View full detailsOriginal price $179.99Original price $179.99 - Original price $179.99Original price $179.99Current price $149.99$149.99 - $149.99Current price $149.99Sale Sale
Original price $29.99 - Original price $29.99Original price$29.99$29.99 - $29.99Current price $29.99
S&K Hanging Gourd BracketS&K ManufacturingIn stock
Add a gourd rack to your existing triangular or 1.25" outer diameter pole with the S&K Hanging Gourd Bracket. This unit adds room for martin go...View full detailsOriginal price $29.99 - Original price $29.99Original price$29.99$29.99 - $29.99Current price $29.99
Original price $39.99Original price $39.99 - Original price $39.99Original price $39.99Current price $34.99$34.99 - $34.99Current price $34.99
Sparrow-Resistant Eastern Bluebird House by Prime RetreatPrime RetreatIn stock
Provide beautiful, musical bluebirds a secure roosting option by adding this Sparrow-Resistant Cedar Eastern Bluebird House by Prime Retreat to you...View full detailsOriginal price $39.99Original price $39.99 - Original price $39.99Original price $39.99Current price $34.99$34.99 - $34.99Current price $34.99Sale Sale
Leave a comment